Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Guest Author Day with Heather Beck

Please welcome author Heather Beck to Dawn's Reading Nook. I was thrilled to sit down with her and chat about a variety things. :)

1. What do you write and why?
I write for different age groups in a variety of genres. I love writing for children because I can let my imagination run wild. Scary stories filled with exciting characters and unpredictable plots are always fun to read and even better to write!

Writing for young adults is challenging because I think this age group is saturated with clichés. However, it’s also exciting since there is a huge demand for unique young adult books. In this genre, I write romantic literary stories that expect a lot from readers, along with mainstream fiction filled with honesty, compassion and relatable characters.

I also write paranormal romances for adults because I adore the supernatural genre. These books always deal with physical and/or emotional emancipation. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been intrigued with the idea of leaving the mundane in search for the extraordinary.

Additionally, I write screenplays and teleplays (TV shows) in the genres mentioned above. I love this form of writing because it’s sublime to have my words come to life. It’s also very humbling to see what a collaborative process filmmaking truly is.  

2. What do you read and why, especially if it's different from what you write?
Due to my workload, I rarely get a chance to read. When I do read, I prefer books in the paranormal genre. I love this genre because it usually has rich lore and fantastical characters or settings. I am very interested in the idea of transcending the ordinary. 

3. What publisher(s) do you write for?
I’ve worked with eight publishers and have had both positive and negative experiences. After ten years in this industry, and with the aid of a business advisor, I’m happy to say that I am now a publisher. Under Treasure Cove Books, I publish children’s fiction which pushes the boundaries of imagination. Syren Books is my teen imprint that debuted with Syren Signature Series, a line of romantic literary stories. Finally, Diamond Dust Books publishes adult books with a strong emphasis on the paranormal genre. All my titles are available as e-books and trade paperbacks. I currently have eight distributors with plans to sign with more. Currently, I am publishing my own content with plans to open submissions for Syren Books and Diamond Dust Books in the near future. Treasure Cove Books has projects slated for the next two years!   

4. How long have you been writing?
My passion for writing started at a very young age. English was always my favorite subject in school and in grade five and six I wrote two plays which my class performed. I also loved writing stories for school assignments. Even at that age, writing came very easily to me. However, it wasn’t until I was sixteen years old that I began writing professionally. I worked on my manuscript while thoroughly researching the publishing industry. My first book was published when I was nineteen years old and since then I’ve released seven more books with five more slated for publication. I also began writing screenplays and teleplays when I was nineteen and had my first TV show optioned that same year. My first short film, Young Eyes, premiered in a theater in 2009 while my second short is being released this year. I have always thought the publishing industry is tough, but the TV/film industry has proven even more difficult. Nonetheless, I love the creative side of the business and will strive to have my optioned projects produced and completed.

5. How do you world build?
Plot, the main characters and settings seem to be created simultaneously in my mind. Since it occurs that way, the setting is heavily intertwined with the other elements of the story. The setting is also largely defined by the atmosphere and emotions I want to portray. For example, Sir Tristan’s Estate, volume 1 in the Legends Unleashed series, is about a very handsome, mysterious and dangerous man with a haunting past. The setting for the story is a castle with a sad and dramatic history. The surrounding scenery is beautiful but overcome with a darkening fog and rain. As you may be able to tell, I love to use extended metaphors in my work. 

6. Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
I advise anyone interested in writing paranormal books to be wholly unique. Since this genre is currently a major trend, the market is filled with the tried and true such as vampires, werewolves, angels, etc. Although I enjoy and respect these characters, I believe a writer would do well to explore other creatures. 

7. How do you build characters and their personalities and looks?
As I mentioned earlier, I create plot, character and setting simultaneously. Therefore, the main character is most definitely defined by her surroundings and experiences. What makes the character unique is how she observes and reacts to her world. Often, I use the character’s looks to reflect her personality. For example, Jillian from The Rarity is sexy, mysterious, yet secretly insecure. To portray this, I dress Jillian in figure-hugging baby tees and jeans which are sexy but not too revealing. She has long dark hair which conceals some of her face. Even the “J” necklace she always wears depicts her need for identity. Having a clearly defined character who develops 
throughout the story is, in my opinion, a key element for a great book/movie/TV show. 

8. Tell me about some of your heroes and heroines:
Most of my stories don’t have a clearly defined hero or heroine. This is especially true with my teleplays. Instead, each character is complex and has both positive and negative personality traits which are developed and honed by their upbringing and experiences. Right now, my favorite characters are Jillian Ford (played by Christie-Lee Britton) and Levi Hudson (played by Ben Adams) from my upcoming film, The Rarity. Jillian is very sexy and mysterious. However, she has trouble defining who she is. This is due to the fact that she’s a half-vampire, half-human who is displaced in both Pamveer (the world of vampires) and Earth. Levi is a laidback guy who is always scruffy, but in an adorable way. He’s intrigued by the seemingly confident Jillian. However, upon developing a deeper relationship with her, Levi is somewhat scared by her vulnerability and dire need for love.

9. Are you a pantser or plotter?
I’m a little bit of both. When I am writing I love to just “go with the flow” and see where I’ll end up. However, I also like to have a general idea of the plot and a firm understanding of my characters. When I’m writing TV/film scripts, I have a very detailed outline. My short scripts are usually less structured and more about random expression.

10. What's your latest release and tell me about it:
My latest release is Haunted, an anthology of scary stories appropriate for all ages. Below is the blurb:

When darkness falls and the air turns cold, ghosts come out to play. Heather Beck presents Haunted, an anthology of ghostly encounters and paranormal events.

Ghost Park
After discovering a mysterious playground in the woods, Chase is stalked by angry ghost children.     

A Haunting Past
Truce’s class trip to an old native reserve turns deadly when Bear, an infamous chief who died two hundred years ago, blames him for the tribe’s extinction.

The Manor On The Rocks
Grey, damp and surrounded by jagged rocks, Calla Lily’s new home isn’t only unpleasant, it’s also haunted by the world’s most evil boy.

A Medieval Nightmare
When Ellie and Brandon get trapped in a medieval museum that’s a bit too real, they fall under a spell and become pivotal players in a ghostly regime.

A Watery Grave
A camping trip becomes a heart-pounding race for survival when Justine meets a ghost who’s determined to change her fate by trading bodies with a living entity.


11. What genre haven’t you tried, yet, that you would love to explore?
I want to write a wilderness adventure that includes paranormal or perhaps light sci-fi aspects. Something like Jurassic Park where time and survival are essential elements that keep the story moving forward at an exciting pace. It’s really important that the creature has a strong motivation for revenge. I’ve already outlined some screenplays in this genre. One of the challenges is keeping the writing in low budget range.

I would also like to write an epic historical/paranormal romance where the decisions of one girl will have major consequences for a large amount of people. I think it would be interesting for the heroine to posses a magical foresight that allows her to see the two very different lives she could lead based upon one crucial decision.

12. If you could take one of your characters out on the town, which would it be and what would you do?
I would go out with Forrester from my TV series Harbor Boys. He had a tough childhood which makes him strive for a better future. He’s manly, ruggedly handsome and somewhat flawed. I would hang out with Forrester in his small but scenic hometown of Sugar Harbor. We would hike and then fish from the pier.

13. Favorite naughty dessert and decadent drink.
I’m not a big fan of desserts so my indulgence is rippled kettle cooked sea salt chips. As for my favorite drink, it’s definitely pomegranate juice.

14. If we looked on your bookshelf right now, what are some of the titles we would find?
Unfortunately, I haven’t had the chance to read a book for a year and a half. The last novel I read would have been for university while I was completing my Honors Bachelor of Arts degree. Specializing in English at university was a dream come true for me and I really want to do a Masters and then a PhD in English. That way, I can read three novels a week while working towards more degrees.

15. Where can we find you on the internet?
I keep an updated website at: http://heatherbeck.tripod.com/

Sneak peek into What Legends Are Made Of

Buy link: http://www.amazon.com/What-Legends-Made-Heather-Beck/dp/1926990005/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299689380&sr=8-1

Blurb: Travel to Sir Tristan’s Estate, a place where ghosts roam freely and enter your dreams at night. Step aboard the Blue Oceana, a ship that will lead you to the world’s last merman. Get a ticket to Frank’s Freak Show to discover the truly disturbing main attraction. Finally, enter the doors of Karyn and Max Shield’s Costume and Magic Shop. It’s a place where you can buy merchandise that is out-of-this-world. These tales will leave you spellbound and yearning for more. Are you ready to find out what real legends are made of?

Excerpt:
Skye looked out the window. Darkness had fallen and the abundant rows of trees that lined the poorly maintained road were almost invisible. The road seemed to continue forever. Fear began to creep into her emotions, adding to the anxiety she already felt about driving down a deserted road with a complete stranger.
I wonder where the nearest house is. Probably miles away.
As Skye continued to watch, the large estate suddenly loomed proudly in front of them. Everything came alive in an instant; the moon seemingly appeared out of nowhere to cast down its bright beams, while lights flickered in several rooms of the estate. The finer details were hard to see despite the enthusiasm from the moon and the glowing lanterns. This didn’t upset Skye since her attention was drawn to a more interesting object, the man standing outside the imposing metal gates.
The driver rolled down his window. “Hello, I have a woman here who claims she has some sort of business to take care of in regards to the estate.”
Skye felt her cheeks redden at his words. Not only was the taxi driver making her sound foolish and incompetent, he was actually putting her in danger. The man at the gate could be anyone, she thought angrily. He could be a murderer or a pervert. Was it really necessary for a singular and feminine pronoun to both be used?
“Skye Huntington?” the man at the gate leaned closer.
The taxi driver turned around in his seat and looked expectantly at Skye. It suddenly occurred to her that they hadn’t introduced themselves to each other.
“Yes,” she said, her voice strong and confident, just in case the man was a homicidal pervert.
“I’m Tom Dove,” he replied. “I’ve been expecting you. I’m your historical interpreter on behalf of the Sir Tristan Estate.”
“Then all plans are go?” Skye asked casually, peering at Tom through the opened window. She remembered being told that the interpreter’s name was Tom Dove. She’d never speculated that he would be so handsome.
The light, which came from the lantern he held in his hands, highlighted his features. He stood tall at five foot eleven and had a lean, muscular build. His face carried his most magnificent features: blue eyes that sparkled with life and lips that formed a smile with every word he spoke. Tom’s short brownish blond hair complimented his face in the most beautiful way.
“Of course the plans are still active,” Tom said, breaking Skye’s reverie.
Not knowing what to say next, Skye simply smiled and exited the taxi. The driver was about to step out of the vehicle as well, but Tom stopped him.
Tom took control, in an efficient yet courtly manner. “Are the lady’s belongings in the trunk?”
“Yes,” Skye answered, pointing to the trunk.
“I’ll get them,” Tom offered with a smile.
Skye smiled back in appreciation and then paid the taxi driver.
“Thank you,” Skye said, bidding goodbye to her short-term companion.
Skye shivered as the taxi disappeared down the dark road. I hope there are other people in the estate. She glanced sideways at Tom. He looked like a kind, handsome man but she didn’t want to be deserted in the middle of nowhere with him.
“Let’s get you inside,” Tom said, stealing Skye’s attention away from the empty road. “Virginian nights can get very cool.”


No comments:

New Book Review: The Best Life Book Club by Sheila Roberts

  The Best Life Book Club Sheila Roberts Mira Books Release date: May 7th, 2024 Available at Amazon Add to Your Goodreads My Rating for The ...