Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Get to know G. G. Royale

 
Tell us a bit about your latest book, and what inspired you to write such a story.

My latest book, My Two Doms, is my first venture into ménage. I sort of set it up in The Lovely Kittengirls of Mew Orleans, though I didn’t want to spend too much time hinting that there would be a sequel. I like to try to say invested in the present story, rather than moving ahead before it’s finished, but when I started writing Haley’s character in Kittengirls, I just knew she’d have to have her own book in which she could rectify her double dom dilemma.

This had to be one of my more challenging stories. I am quite monogamous, so I had a hard time getting into Haley’s head, trying to figure out how she could love these two men at the same time and how they could come to understand her well enough to enter into a threesome.

What are you working on now? Anything you want to tell us about?

My current work in progress is another interracial BDSM novella. It’s going to have a lot of football, and a lot of spanking. Think Jeremy Shockey meets, oh, Tyra Banks. And then spanks her silly. And then they fall in love.

What books are currently on your nightstand/bedside? Anything coming you are dying to read?

Currently I’m rereading a collection of H.P. Lovecraft and a manual on how to write mystery stories. I revisit Lovecraft frequently; some of my first publications were based on his world, and I always like to submit to Lovecraft-themed anthologies and magazines when I have the chance.

The manual is because I realized recently writing mysteries was something I’d never tried, and I had no way of even knowing how to go about it. I read a lot of Doyle when I was younger, but I needed to know the nuts and bolts of the process. I’m getting some good insights, but I’m not yet sure anything will come of it.

Anything I’m dying to read… I’m in an upcoming anthology of erotic fairytales, Rumpledsilksheets, and I can’t wait to see what the other authors contributed to the volume. I had a lot of fun writing my story, “The White Bride,” for that, and I know some of the other stories will be hot, hot, hot!

If one of your books were to be made into a movie, which book would you choose and who do you see playing your characters and why?

That’s an easy one. I’d want to see The Flapper and the Fellow made into a movie. Jude Law would play Winnie -- he’s the only face I saw when I wrote that -- and Zoe Deschanel would play Dot, because I have the biggest crush on her. Or, if I could have made it in the 1930s, it would have to be Don Ameche and Claudette Colbert all the way -- I love them together.

I’d want it to end up resembling Secretary to some extent, but with all that Jazz Age pizzazz. Soundtrack courtesy of Django Reinhardt, of course, and a little King Oliver’s Creole Jazz Band.

What is your favorite pizza toppings?

Well, in my upcoming holiday release, The Adoration of Addana, you’ll run into a local pizza joint that used to be open down the street from me here in New Orleans. They used to make me a pizza with chicken, artichoke hearts, and black olives on it that I really loved. The sauce tasted very spicy; the crust was thin yet had a good body to it. Add a few dollops of ricotta cheese on that before throwing it in the oven… Oh yeah.

Which do you prefer: Mac or PC? 

Well, I prefer a Mac, but it’s never in the budget. I tend toward refurbed, bottom-end PCs from the Tiger Direct clearance bin. I don’t do a lot of fancy stuff on the computer. I need Internet and word processing; that’s about it.

What’s the worst thing you’ve ever done to one of your characters?

Umm, falling in the swamp and nearly getting eaten by an alligator, I think. Or possibly separating the two lovers without one realizing they’d get back together again. That’s pretty harsh.

Which of your books contains the sexiest love scene? (if you have one that is J)

I think one of the sexiest scenes is in The Flapper and the Fellow, when Dot, on her hands and knees, has to balance a martini on her back while Winnie has his way with her.

Which of your covers is your favorite?

I love everything Christine Griffin does for me. She makes me want to write more stories in the Kittengirls vein just so I can have more pretty covers to look at.

Which of your books was the easiest to write? 

I have a Dreamspinner Press release coming out in December: The New Game. What made it easy was the fact that I had the cover art ahead of time, and I wrote to match the cover art. I stuck to my outline and got it done in record time. Plus, it’s short, only about seventeen thousand words, so that made for a quick job too.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

Everyone’s always commented on how good my ideas are. I have great concepts, I think, but my biggest problem is characterization. Too often I let the plot control me, rather than the characters. I never have one of those moments where I complain about a character doing something unexpected, where I have to step away and figure out how to fix the plot to account for the character. I would actually like to know what that feels like, to be so wrapped up in a character that she actually begins to act on her own. I’m too rigid -- right now anyway -- to allow that to happen. I imagine my writing must suffer for it.

Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?

I went with the old method of picking a stripper name: the name of your first pet and the street you grew up on. However, “Gray Cat Tenth Street” wasn’t the best name. Translate “Gray Cat” into Spanish, drop it to the initials, change First Street to the street my favorite house was on… That’s how I got G.G. Royale.

Where can readers find you on the ‘net for more information on you, your books and other fun stuff?

Boy, all over the place! First, www.ggroyale.com is my site. I blog at www.ggroyale.blogspot.com. I have a Facebook fan page as G.G. Royale, and I Twitter as @ggroyale. I’m running a contest for people who follow me on Twitter, by the way. For every hundred followers (at 100, 200, etc) I pick a random winner and give out a prize. The more followers, the bigger and better the prizes will become!

*~*
Sneak Peek From My Two Doms

Haley reveled in the shouts and whistles coming from the audience. She showed off her cat costume, acted the part, playing with the toys Gregory, her handler, offered her, and made sure that the judge for the contest, Lady Corneille Noir, got all the choice views. The three-piece band tried to keep up with her, and she did her best to make it a challenge for them. Margot was right; this is fun. Gregory ran his big hand down her back. She arched for him, winking at the crowd. Then she stuck out her ass and shook her tail. The bell on her collar and those tied to her tail with ribbons jingled, adding to the glorious cacophony.
But something didn’t feel quite right. Something was missing.
As Haley batted at a feather-ended cane Gregory dangled in front of her, she scanned the audience.
Oh no. She saw him: Jason, her other dom, the one who didn’t do any of this kind of stuff -- the hard-edged, whips-and-handcuffs one.
Haley froze, and the audience seemed to recede, shrinking away as Jason’s face took her full attention. She hadn’t expected him to come. She didn’t want him here. He couldn’t know about…Gregory. She looked back at the other, bigger man. How would she explain this to him? What would he do to her? A slight frown crossed his face, and he tried to recapture her attention with the toy he held, but she couldn’t become reabsorbed in the play. She swallowed. Heat bathed her. She thought for a moment about all those in the audience watching her, but she couldn’t even pull herself together for them. Her concentration had broken, and now fear dominated.
Her men would find out about what she’d done to them. Tonight. She hadn’t prepared herself for that.
Finally Lady Corneille -- dressed as a ringmaster in purple and gold vinyl -- ushered them off the stage. “Haley Cat and her handler, Gregory, everyone!”
Applause followed Haley as she took the steps down to the auditorium floor. Her legs felt weak, and she had to grasp the handrail as she descended. What would she say to him? Which him? To them?
This could go so badly.
Without asking or even waiting for permission, she headed to the back of the hall. Vaguely she heard the next kittengirl’s introduction, but Haley’s world had shrunk down to the situation that had just arisen.
Her two doms were here.

2 comments:

Cherise Sinclair said...

What a great excerpt! Haley is in sooo much trouble . Your kitten-girls are incredibly hot, GG!

Cathy M said...

Mew Orleans, I love it. Now you've got me curious, and will have to go check out this series.

Behind the Scenes with Kelli Wilkins: Loving a Wild Stranger

  Behind the Scenes: Loving a Wild Stranger (A Historical Romance) By Kelli A. Wilkins www.KelliWilkins.com     This “Behind the ...