Sunday, May 23, 2010

Meet Author Mahalia Levey




Were you an avid reader as a child? What type of books did you enjoy reading?

I was a very avid reader as a child. I can’t recall a time where I didn’t have a book around me. Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel was my favorite story. I also loved Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, and Nancy Drew by Edward Stratemeyer

Tell us a bit about your latest book, and what inspired you to write such a story.

Embrace The Moment is my first series. It’s penned after my love of the military that protect us. I decided to do the Coast Guard because I’ve always loved what they stand for. Semper Paratus is my dedication to those who remain ~Always Ready~. There is  a total of six members on the team. Each will have their own story and will vary on different jobs the USCG does for our nation.

How would you describe your creative process while writing this book? Was it stream-of-consciousness writing, or did you first write an outline?

It’s funny that you should ask. I’m not big on outlining but for a series there needs to be some lines plotted down. I’ve begun doing a vague outline, leaving much room for growth while accomplishing what needs to be done in the time line.

Have you ever experience weird cravings while you write? If so, what kind?
I drink a lot of coffee and crave salad. Sometimes if I’m writing a section on food, it’ll spark a…ohhhh that sounds so good right now!

What are the most challenging and the most rewarding aspects of writing?
 What challenges me the most is my personal growth in writing. I’ve been at this less than one year and I feel like I’m growing in leaps and bounds. What was rewarding was becoming published for the very first time. When I got my contract I was spinning on cloud nine, but once it went up on the site, it sunk in. OMG I’m published! I hope to continue to grow and get these insane characters of mine written and written well.

What are your top 3 favorite paranormal books and movies?
Books:
Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter Series
Karen Marie Moaning Fever World Series
Christine Feehan Dark Series
Movies:
Underworld Series
Blood and Chocolate
The Covenant


What character (s) in any of your books is most like you?
The character who most describes me is Fatal in My Demonic series. She’s mixed culture and has been through a lot and remains strong, with a stubborn streak a mile wide, yet a forgiving nature. I’m friendly and social but I don’t wear my heart on my sleeve. 

What is the most ridiculous thing that you have thought about doing to any of your characters but never did? I don’t’ write them they write themselves…but they do the most ridiculous things on their own. J Krissy likes to taunt citizens of NYC with her picture taking in their personal space.

How do you keep track of your world building? One Note!

Which authors works do you enjoy reading and do you have any other authors that you bounce ideas of? Marty Rayne, Tymber Dalton, Savannah Chase, Andrew Grey, Kate Douglas, Anne Rainey, Joey W. Hill, Kissa Starling, Sandy Sullivan, and there are hundreds more. I bounce ideas with a few friends. Marty Rayne is one of them, but I have beta readers who are great at bouncing ideas if I need it.

Where do you see the paranormal/urban fantasy genre headed? Can you see it slowing down in the near future, or do you think that the immediate future is pretty bright for it? I don’t see it slowing at all. I see it evolving into more intricate world builds much like sci fi is doing right now.

 If you had to write yourself as a heroine/hero, what kind of heroine/hero would you be? What would you be named? Strong and stubborn with a heart worth fighting for. I’d be named Fatal J
 
 
If you had to write yourself as a villain, what kind of villain would you be? What would you be named? I’d be a dark witch. Call me Candalaria.
 
What is the strangest source of writing inspiration you’ve ever had?

A tag line off of a billboard gave me a premise.
 
If you were a world ruler and you were given a choice of 3 laws to enact, what would they be?  

My first law: Those who lay down the law are not above the law.

My second law: Harmony between realms and worlds will be governed by a specific special few persons.

My Third Law: Taxation will be in the people’s interest, not my personal pocket.
 
 If your muse were to talk behind your back, what secrets would he/she tell?

She can’t say that in…polite company.
J

Where can we find you on the web? 

www.mahalialevey.com
http://quackersandtease.blogspot.com/
http://novelsisterhood.blogspot.com/
www.hales3000.multiply.com



Embrace The Moment Excerpt One
Chapter One
0300 Hours-On the coast of Laguna Beach, CA
“This is Ryan Corban for Channel Nine news with a breaking story. At three-thirty this afternoon, a Cessna type plane crashed thirty miles off the Laguna Coast. The craft called in a mayday after being struck by debris on their starboard engine. The Coast Guard was called out and responded by deploying an eighty-seven foot schooner as well as a helicopter…one second please. We’re receiving more information from the reporter on site.”
“We’ve been informed that two of the three passengers have been located. Unfortunately they are not alive. What a traumatic night for Laguna Beach. The occupants of the Cessna plane were two teenagers and a pilot.”  He put his fingers on his earpiece to receive incoming information and nodded. “Wait. I have just been informed there are no survivors. The third passenger has been found. Yes, the pilot and two teen students were killed. Confirmation has come through. Resuscitation on one of the teens has failed. Their identities at this time are withheld until family members can be notified. With Channel Nine News, this is Ryan Corban.”
                                          
* * * *

1700 Hours-USCG Sector, San Diego
Lieutenant Junior Grade Lark Maddox surveyed her team. “No cigars tonight, fellas. Remember, some we win, some we lose. Anytime a plane crashes the chances of survival decreases. Get your reports completed and get home. As always, let the local police handle the press. If anyone contacts you transfer them to the local authorities. If they prove to be crass direct them to public affairs who will deal with them tomorrow.” Her four team members were wet and appeared exhausted. She turned to the one nearest to her. “McCall, make sure you go get that cut on your head looked at.” As senior officer, Lark remained in control. Even when coping with difficult issues, she played the part well. Her face remained a stoic façade of impenetrable stone. Being the highest ranking woman on the team, she had to show she wouldn’t break, that she held the same backbone of her male counterparts.
“Done.” Petty Officer Second Class Phoenix McCall slapped the papers onto her desk.
“Dismissed,” she replied curtly and turned toward Seaman Jarius Nelson. “Seaman Nelson, please feel free to use the resources of the base. This rescue being your first loss, no one would think any less of you if you need sickbay or the base therapist. Well done for maintaining your control down there. At times, it’s not easy to do that in the face of things out of our control.” She offered him a rare smile.
“Thank you, ma’am.” He handed her his report. “But I’ll be fine, if it’s all the same.”
Lark took in the wariness of his appearance. He had proven to do well on their team. “Have a good night’s rest.” She watched him grasp the edge of his sailors cap, rolling it with shaky fingers as he walked out of the office.
Lark put her hands behind her back in a relaxed stance while waiting for her last team member to finish with his report. Numerous papers littered her desk. Approaching the piles, she riffled through and placed them in order and began, with quiet resolve, to sign each one.
Everyone processed the success or failure of a rescue in their own fashion. Not every life was saved, and to her surprise, after being assigned for two years to her current rescue team, the losses affected her less each time. She paused to wonder if that was a bad thing, the ability to distance one’s self from the harsh realities of life. Known for being a calculating cold bitch wasn’t the impression she wanted to leave people with.


4 comments:

Hales said...

Thank you for having me. I enjoyed the interview.

Stephanie said...

Terrific Interview

Tina Donahue said...

Great interview, Hales and lovely covers - may you have mucho macho sales! :)

Nichelle Gregory said...

Hi, Mahalia, I enjoyed your interview and grew up loving some of those same books! I loved, loved, loved Nancy Drew and Rikki Tikki Tembo! Congrats on your latest release. :)

Behind the Scenes with Kelli Wilkins: Loving a Wild Stranger

  Behind the Scenes: Loving a Wild Stranger (A Historical Romance) By Kelli A. Wilkins www.KelliWilkins.com     This “Behind the ...